Traditional Italian Chicken Parmesan
Healthy eating at its finest. This easy recipe offers a guilt-free spin on Traditional Italian Chicken Parmesan. This will definitely be one of the most delicious meals you eat served up in only 30 minutes. The chicken is coated with a combination of flax, breadcrumbs and delicious spices, then baked and smothered in a spicy tomato sauce topped with melted mozzarella cheese. Serve this chicken Parmesan as your main dish with a side of steamed broccoli and a small amount of pasta or Baked Spaghetti Squash.
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 3/4 cup 100% whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 12 leaves fresh basil
- 1 large jar tomato sauce, spicy
- 6 thin slices freshly sliced mozzarella (You can also use freshly grated Parmesan cheese.)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine flax seeds, breadcrumbs, paprika and garlic powder.
- Evenly coat a large plate with mixture.
- Beat eggs in a shallow, medium-large bowl. Dip chicken breast in beaten eggs. Place chicken on breadcrumb mixture; careful not to drip egg on mixture or the crumbs won’t stick to the chicken.
- Scoop and press the crumbs onto both sides of the breast.
- Repeat for each chicken breast and place on baking sheet.
- Heat 1/4 cup EVOO in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Once EVOO is heated, place each piece of chicken in skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side. The chicken will finish cooking in the oven. Place each piece of chicken back on baking tray.
- Bake chicken for 30 minutes or until no longer pink in the center.
- While chicken is baking, warm your tomato sauce over medium heat. Flavor your sauce to your liking. We are garlic lovers, so we often add garlic to our sauce as well as herbs such as oregano, thyme and parsley.
- Two minutes before chicken is done baking, top each piece of chicken with 1 slice of mozzarella cheese and bake until cheese is melted.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and top with a spoonful of sauce. Garnish with 2 basil leaves. I finely chop my basil before garnishing. Herb shears work great for this and cut the time in half. Serve and enjoy!