Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Apples
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
The tangy yet sweet flavor of this delicious cranberry sauce adds the perfect sophisticated flare to so many meals: toasted turkey panini perhaps, a glaze for meat or filling for pastries. Serving up an appetizer? This sauce makes a great addition to any charcuterie board! It also makes the perfect topping for cottage cheese, desserts and turkey burgers. The best part is it can be prepped in advance
- 1/4 teaspoon citrus zest (orange or clementine) (optional but recommended)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup honey (add additional 1/4 cup for slightly sweeter sauce)
- 24 ounces fresh or frozen cranberries (1 & 1/2 pounds)
- pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1 large apple, diced into small cubes (about 2 cups)
- Begin by zesting the orange. You can use a fine cheese grater or a mircoplane rasp. When zesting, be sure not to include any of the white pith because it’s quite bitter.
- In a medium-large pot, combine the orange juice, water and honey. Bring to a boil. Add the cranberries, orange zest and pinch of salt. Reduce heat to a low boil. Boil until most of the cranberries burst open and sauce thickens, about 10-20 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, add diced apple to sauce, stir until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use, at least 2-4 hours recommended.
- Once sauce has cooled and apples are added, transfer sauce into mason jars. Tightly seal and place jars in freezer. Defrost overnight in the fridge and enjoy when thawed!
Freezing: If you prefer to use glassware when freezing your food, leave at least 1 & 1/2 inches between the contents and the top of the container. We’ve made this mistake before and when the contents in the jar expanded, we ended up with a cracked container and broken glass all over the freezer.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: One Pot, Too Easy
Keywords: Homemade Cranberry Sauce, Apples, Cranberries