Mediterranean Pita with Hummus
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
Today I had an incredible craving for crunchy vegetables spread out over a fluffy, warm pita. To conquer my craving, I threw together these quick and delicious pitas using homemade hummus, fresh veggies and feta. They are great toasted for a snack, light dinner or as an awesome no-cook, no-reheat lunch option that’s packed with flavor. The next time you get a craving for some crunchy vegetables and hummus, try this delicious recipe to conquer your craving!
- 4 round whole-grain pitas
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped
- 8 slices tomato
- 4 tablespoons feta cheese
- pinch Simply Organic, Spice Right Pepper and More Blend (this is an AMAZING pepper blend by the company Simply Organic)
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus:
- 1 (15 oz.) can garbanzo beans or chickpeas
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (add more to taste)
- 2 & 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup jarred roasted red peppers , drained (or approximately 1 large red peppers roasted)
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- Lightly toast pitas in the oven on medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Remove pitas from oven and spread hummus over pita bread (recipe below). Top each pita with onion, cucumber, tomato, cheese and simply organic pepper blend. Toast in oven on medium heat for an additional 4-6 minutes. Enjoy!
- Rinse and drain beans, set aside.
- Add all ingredients, except beans, into food processor. Process for 20 seconds or until blended. (We use a Cuisinart 14-cup food processor, which takes approx. 20 seconds). Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Add beans into food processor. Process until hummus reaches desired consistency. (If needed, add more olive oil or water to thin and perfect consistency and process for another minute.) If possible, pre-prep and chill in fridge overnight so hummus has time to infuse flavors.
For a Quick To-Go Lunch:
- If you are making this as a grab-and-go lunch, spread hummus over pita bread. Top with onion, cucumber, cheese and simply organic pepper blend. Wrap in plastic wrap or place in a container. Chill overnight. Place tomato in a small container and chill. To take along, pack containers in an insulated bag with an ice pack. To serve, top pita with tomato and enjoy!
For a gluten-free option, use a gluten-free pita.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Prep Now, Cook Later, 30 Minute Meals
Keywords: Mediterranean Pita with Hummus