Shredded Salsa Verde Chicken (Enjoy in Tacos or Burrito Bowls)
Quick, easy and delicious!
What busy mom wouldn’t love a meal that can be tossed together in under 10 minutes? Just add chicken, yogurt and your favorite salsa and the slow cooker will do the rest.
After a few hours your chicken will be so moist and tender that you’ll be able to shred it directly in the slow cooker. You can use green salsa (our personal favorite) or get creative with any kind of salsa—pineapple, mango, the sky is the limit.
A family-friendly meal that tastes delicious AND requires minimal cleanup? Hallelujah!
Do I have to use a slow cooker?
No slow cooker, no problem. You can bake your Salsa Verde Chicken in a dish.
A few ways to enjoy your Salsa Verde Chicken:
- Inside burritos or enchiladas
- Burrito bowls (rice on the bottom, layer with chicken, shredded lettuce and toppings)
- On a salad
- In stuffed peppers with rice and black beans (a great way to recreate leftovers)
- As is!
Some toppings to choose from:
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded red cabbage
- Diced onion
- Diced tomatoes
- Sliced avocado, Guacamole or Mashed Avocado Spread
- Finely chopped jalapeños
- Chopped peaches, pineapple or mangos (our FAVORITE!)
- Grated cheddar cheese or queso fresco
- Greek yogurt (a wonderful substitute for sour cream)
- Pico de gallo
- Hot sauce (we LOVE to add flavor with an array of hot sauces)
- Beans (black or pinto)
Side dish ideas:
- Black or pinto beans (Try this Seasoned Bean recipe)
- Whole grain brown rice, topped with a little salsa
- Cilantro Lime Rice (Chipotle’s Copycat)
- Foil-pack Corn on the Cob (substitute red chili powder for Old Bay)
- Homemade Tortilla Chips (baked in the oven)
- Rice Cake Nachos (much healthier than store-bought nachos and just as tasty)
Time saving tips:
- If you want to prep ahead, add all the slow cooker ingredients to your slow cooker, cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, cook as directed.
- Use a bag of pre-chopped lettuce to save on time.
- To further save on time, clean, de-stem or chop toppings in advance.
- To make it family-friendly, use mild salsa so it’s not too spicy for your kiddos.
- Set all your toppings out buffet-style (if you have kids—you may want to limit how much cheese you set out so their tacos don’t end up being cheesy quesadillas!)
- If you have extra time and want to make homemade tortillas, this tried-and-true Whole-Grain Corn Tortillas (authentic Mexican recipe) is our favorite. They’re freezer-friendly, so make a double batch for future meals.
TACO-bout a fun way to put a spin on a traditional dinner!
Whether you’re with your kids, friends or family, you’ll love this Salsa Verde Chicken for a fun twist on taco night. It’s a wonderFULL way to make healthy eating interactive and FUN!
Some ways to “reinvent” your leftover Salsa Verde Chicken:
- In a burrito with beans and sautèed veggies
- Tossed in eggs or added to an omelet
- Buddha bowls: In a bowl with a small amount of wilted spinach, sautéed veggies, sweet potatoes home fries, rice, beans, and avocado
- Stuffed peppers: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut bell pepper and clean out seeds. Place on pan and bake 15 minutes. While peppers are baking, combine leftover chicken, additional ingredients of your choice (cheese, veggies) and some of your favorite salsa in a bowl. Mix. Remove pepper from oven, stuff with mixture and bake an additional 7–12 minutes until pepper is desired texture. Top with avocado (optional), serve and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
If you make this Shredded Salsa Verde Chicken, we would love to hear how it turned out! Leave a comment below sharing how you served it (with rice, in a burrito or taco, etc.) and what your family thought of it. We love hearing from you and your ideas inspire us all! Don’t forget to tag @fullforlifegal on Instagram so we can admire your masterpiece! 🌟
Share The Goodness
Treat Yourself to a Weekly Wellness Boost!
Unlock VIP access to self-care secrets, delightful surprises, and a dash of healthy food inspiration. Join us now and let the pampering begin!
"*" indicates required fields
Imagine getting your family to not only eat, but ENJOY healthy food!
If you’re struggling to get your family on board with a real food lifestyle and want bring joy back to mealtime, Simple Secrets to Getting Your Family to Eat Healthy Foods is for you!
This simple system makes it easy for you to create nourishing, peaceful family meals, putting an end to the dinnertime drama once and for all.Get Started Now!
You May Also Enjoy
Leave a Comment
Hi beautiFULL, We’re Pam and Kalie
If you want your family to live a healthier life, you’ve come to the right place! Our simple wellness practices have been handed down for three generations and are the secret weapon to staying healthy and sane.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE
Real Food Crash Course
Learn how to cut out processed food in a realistic and manageable way.
Free Guide Food – Real Food Crash Course
"*" indicates required fields