Easy Whole-Grain Corn Tortillas (Authentic Mexican Recipe)
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 16 tortillas 1x
Make corn tortillas with this quick guide. They’re perfect for enchiladas, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, huevos rancheros and wraps.
- 2 cups masa harina (whole corn flour that is found in the baking isle – not to be confused with corn meal)
- 1 & 1/2 cups warm water (more if necessary)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- virgin coconut oil (to grease pan)
- Combine and blend masa harina and salt.
- Add warm water to mixture. (I often heat my water in the microwave.)
- Mix thoroughly for 1-2 minutes, until a soft dough forms… not too wet and not too dry. (Add additional water or flour, tablespoon by tablespoon, if necessary.) Cover the bowl loosely with plastic wrap or a moist dish towel. Let the bowl rest for at least 10 minutes (we often let ours rest for up to an hour).
- Divide dough into 16 equal balls. You can eyeball it OR you can form a log with the dough and slice it into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a round ball. Cover dough balls with plastic wrap or a moist dish towel to prevent dough from drying out.
- Line your tortilla press with two sheets of plastic wrap or a ziploc baggie (directions above). One at a time, place each ball between the two sheets of plastic and press down. Each tortilla should measure between 5-7 inches in diameter.
- While pressing tortillas, heat a cast iron skillet or a lightly greased non-stick pan over medium-high heat. You’ll know when the pan is hot enough when you do the water test and it sizzles. It’s important to let the pan heat up thoroughly before you begin cooking tortillas.
- Carefully peel off tortilla from plastic wrap.
- Cook each side of tortilla for 45-60 seconds. Be sure to flip each tortilla once! Remove from heat and cover cooked tortillas with a cloth to keep them soft and warm. Once you’ve cooked all 16 tortillas, serve and enjoy!
How to store tortillas:
- Once tortillas have cooled completely, wrap them in a cloth (to prevent them from drying out) and place in a ziplock baggie or airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 7 days. Tortillas can also be frozen (without the cloth) and defrosted for later use.
- If reheating tortillas in the microwave, wrap in a damp paper towel or cloth before microwaving. Microwave for 30-45 seconds. If heating on stovetop, heat for 15 seconds per side.
Always check for FfL-friendly ingredients.
We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Recipes
- Method: Prep Now, Cook Later
Keywords: Whole Grain Corn Tortillas, Tortillas