This bruschetta chicken recipe combines the traditional flavors of bruschetta with a tender chicken breast. The result is a low-carb comfort dish that is irresistible for both chicken and bruschetta lovers alike. It’s baked with fresh tomatoes, basil and balsamic glaze, then topped with mozzarella cheese for the ultimate, EASY and super healthy comfort dish. It’s a nutritious meal that comes together with minimal prep and cleanup. Hello, simple weeknight dinner!
What should you serve it with?
This bruschetta chicken pairs wonderfully with a salad, Grilled Romaine Hearts, Grilled Peaches or a side of whole-grain pasta or sourdough bread. However you serve it, it’s sure to become a regular part of your recipe rotation.
Can you prep this the night before?
Yep, the bruschetta mixture can be prepped up to 24 hours in advance and stored in an airtight container in the fridge. In fact, prepping in advance can help marry all the delicious flavors from the tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and balsamic together! When it comes time to bake your dish, top your chicken and bake as directed.
How to shop for the best ingredients:
- Choose cheese that’s made with simple ingredients such as milk, cream, salt, enzymes and active cultures.
- Look for chicken that’s 100% pasture-raised.
- Look for a high-quality balsamic, with no sugar added.
- We recommend organic ingredients when feasible.
Some ways to “reinvent” your leftovers:
- In a wrap, grilled quesadilla style
- Cold, on top of a salad
- On a bruschetta and artichoke flatbread pizza
- BLT style: On a piece of toasted bread with romaine and crunchy bacon
- Toss it with freshly sliced strawberries and avocado for an entirely different flavor combo
- In a roasted Portobello mushroom cap. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place cleaned mushroom caps, stem/gill side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes, until caps are soft. Remove from the oven and carefully flip the mushroom caps over. If water accumulates on the baking sheet, drain the liquid. Evenly spoon leftover chopped chicken and bruschetta mixture in the cup of each cap. Top with cheese. Return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes, until mushrooms are tender, the mixture is warm and the cheese is bubbling.
This bruschetta chicken recipe combines the traditional flavors of bruschetta with a tender chicken breast. The result is a low-carb comfort dish that is irresistible for both chicken and bruschetta lovers alike.
- 2 pounds chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
- 6 roma tomatoes chopped into bite-size pieces
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh basil, loosely packed (about 27 medium leaves or .75 oz.)
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic (about 3 cloves fresh)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces mozzarella cheese
Prepare bruschetta ahead:
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, garlic, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Mix to combine and set aside for at least 30 minutes to allow flavors to marry. This can be prepped in advance the night before to save time on busy nights.
Putting it together:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut each chicken breast in half vertically (crosswise, just down from the thickest part of the breast, across the grain). Now, slice each piece of chicken horizontally (width-wise), working away from you and toward the thinner end. You will end up with two thinner chicken breasts. This will help your chicken cook evenly. If you want them any thinner, you can use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound them even thinner.
- Set the chicken in the baking pan. Pour the bruschetta on top of the chicken.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the center. This largely depends on the thickness of the chicken.
- Remove from oven and top with cheese.
- Broil in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until cheese is golden and bubbling.