What better way to clean out your fridge than by making a delicious omelet with last night’s leftovers?
Each time we make an omelet at our home it turns out slightly different, depending on what ingredients we have to choose from that morning. This recipe gives you some great ideas to pair together and allows you to take inventory of your fridge and get a little creative with your omelet concoction. Have fun with it! If today’s combo didn’t turn out quite as planned, try something different next time. You may surprise yourself!
For more amazing omelet options, check out Delish.com’s 50 Best Omelet Recipes. Just make sure to check for FfL-friendly ingredients!Print
What better way to start your day than by making a delicious, fluffy breakfast omelet? This simple cheese omelet allows you to clean out your fridge using last night’s leftovers or get creative with some of our favorite combinations: veggie, Mediterranean, Mexican, homestyle, harvest or lox. Garnish with your favorite topping(s), grab a cup of coffee and enjoy!
- Beat eggs in a small bowl until blended.
- Using low heat, add coconut oil to a 7- to 10-inch nonstick skillet or omelet pan. Tilt pan to evenly coat bottom with coconut oil. Cook chopped vegetables if necessary. Add spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Remove cooked vegetables from pan and set aside.
- Pour egg mixture in pan. If needed, coat pan with a small amount of coconut oil prior to egg being added. Evenly sprinkle chia seeds on egg and add salt and pepper to taste. Egg mixture should set immediately around edges. With inverted spatula or scraper, evenly push cooked portions from the edges toward the center of the pan. Turn the pan so the uncooked egg mixture can evenly reach the hot pan surface.
- When top surface of egg thickens and almost no visible liquid egg remains, use a spatula to flip the egg. Be careful not to tear egg as you flip it. Place cheese and filling on half the omelet. Fold omelet in half with spatula. Reduce heat or remove pan from burner. Cover with a lid for 1 minute, or until cheese has completely melted.
- Slide omelet onto plate. Top with desired toppings. Serve immediately.