Bring a taste of Italy to your table with this quick and easy homemade lasagna.
Homemade lasagna may seem daunting, and while there are a few steps, this is such an easy recipe it’s one that deserves to make it into your winter recipe rotation.
Because this recipe is loaded with meat, spinach and cheesy goodness, it makes for the ultimate comfort dish that your family is guaranteed to love. The hardest part about making it isn’t the prep, it’s removing it from the oven and letting it rest before diving in.
Can I pre-prep my lasagna?
Absolutely! If you’re in need of a meal that can be prepped ahead, yet still has an attractive presentation once served, this is it! Prep it ahead and when your guests arrive, pop it in the oven. Add a side salad and a glass of red and voila ~ the best of Italy served right at your dinner table.
Can I prep or freeze my lasagna?
Yep! Not only can you make it ahead and keep it in the fridge for up to 24 hours, you can freeze it too. We often make a double batch of this recipe ahead, stick one in the fridge to cook for dinner and then wrap one up and stick it in the freezer. We LOVE having meals in the freezer for busy nights.Print
Bring a taste of Italy to your table with this quick and easy homemade lasagna that your family is guaranteed to love. The ultimate comfort food, this lasagna is loaded with meat, spinach, and cheesy goodness. This delicious and decadent dish is a snap to prepare ahead of time and along with its attractive presentation will quickly become a favorite choice for your next dinner party. Add a side salad and a glass of red and voila ~ the best of Italy served right at your dinner table.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (16 oz.) container spinach (or substitute with 2 10-ounce frozen boxes of spinach)
- 1 (32 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 (10 oz.) can rotel tomatoes
- 1 & 1/2 cups water
- 8 ounces whole-wheat lasagna noodles (for gluten free use rice lasagna noodle)
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large stock pot over medium heat saute ground beef, onion, oregano, basil, and garlic in EVOO. Cook until it’s well browned, stirring often to break up meat. Pour off any fat. Add spinach and cover with a lid until spinach is cooked. Stir in spaghetti sauce, rotel tomatoes and water.
- In a large bowl mix cottage cheese, 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese, parsley, egg, salt and pepper.
- Place a small amount of sauce in the bottom of a lasagna pan. Place uncooked lasagna noodles on top of sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Top with half of the cheese mixture and sauce. Repeat with a second layer.
- Cover with foil and bake in a preheated oven for 60 minutes. Remove foil, top with 8 ounces of mozzarella cheese and bake another 10 minutes until cheese is melted. Let sit 10 minutes before serving.
The best way to reheat your lasagna
- To reheat, place pieces of lasagna in a non-stick pan. Add 1-2 tablespoons of water, just enough to barely cover the bottom of the pan. Cover and heat on the stovetop over medium-low heat until your lasagna is the temperature you prefer (this usually takes about 8-12 minutes).
Keywords: Easy Lasagna