Low-Carb Pancakes (Gluten-Free)
To this day, if I’m visiting my parents, my weekends begin with my dad making pancakes or waffles.
It’s been a fun (and tasty) tradition that has carried on for years. My mom cooks throughout the week, so on the weekends my dad is on breakfast duty!
Because pancakes make a regular appearance at their home we like to switch it up with different flavors (chocolate chip, blueberry, banana, the list goes on!) One hot summer day, we decided we wanted to try something new… something slightly lighter than traditional pancakes. After a few attempts, this incredible Low-Carb Pancake recipe was created and they’ve been a hit ever since!
The “ultimate” combo—protein + healthy fat + fiber
Cottage cheese and oats are an unexpectedly delightful combination when it comes to these delicious, low-carb pancakes. Whole grains, protein, healthy fats and fresh fruit make this one powerhouse breakfast that you can feel good about!
The best part about this recipe is you have endless options… just get creative with flavors!
In the fall, we love to add fresh apples to make these Low-Carb Apple Cinnamon Pancakes; in the summer, we add local blueberries; and for a tasty treat, we’ll occasionally add chocolate chips or top our pancakes with Caramelized Bananas. Use this recipe as a base and flavor your pancakes any way you like!
Get your kids involved.
What better way to encourage your kids to cook than by getting them involved in making these easy pancakes. Have them help by mixing the ingredients together or, when you pour the batter on the skillet, let them press blueberries into the batter for some added fun. Allow them to get creative; it may look like a smiley face or an abstract painting!
Freezing your Low-Carb Pancakes
These healthy pancakes can be made in advance and frozen for future meals. Simply allow them to cool before storing in an airtight freezer-safe container or freezer bag (press out any extra air to help prevent freezer burn). Freeze for up to 3 months.
When starting out, I was less than stellar when it came to making the perfect pancake. There was the time I burnt them to a charred crisp, another that I flipped them way before they were set and let’s not forget the day I used a stainless steel pan… oh my what a mess! Becoming a pro pancake maker has taken me quite some time, so I wanted to share the best tricks I’ve learned over the years to reach pancake perfection!
- Use a non-stick pan or griddle. Our absolute favorite griddle is this one.
- Add just enough butter or oil to coat the surface of your pan. You don’t need much, but without it your batter will stick.
- Do the “sizzle test.” Heat the pan on medium heat before adding your batter. I do the “sizzle test” to know when my pan’s ready. I simply run my fingers under some water and flick water droplets on the pan. When I hear a slight sizzle, I know the pan is warm enough to add the batter.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low when cooking your pancakes. When you initially add your batter, you want that higher heat to crisp them BUT once your batter is poured, lower your heat and allow those babies to brown slowly. I know this takes a little longer but it’s better than burnt pancakes!
- Don’t flip them too soon. Wait until the top of your pancakes show little bubbles that pop. Take a look underneath and if they’re golden brown, it’s time to flip!
Some ways to “reinvent” your leftover pancakes:
- Pancake sandwich: fresh berries and a smear of goat, cream, or cottage cheese as the filling, sandwiched between two pancakes (served hot or cold)
- Sliced into strips (for brekkie, lunch, or a snack): served cold with a side of fresh fruit and plain yogurt that’s mixed with a drizzle of maple syrup as a dipping sauce
Share The Goodness
Treat Yourself to a Weekly Wellness Boost!
Unlock VIP access to self-care secrets, delightful surprises, and a dash of healthy food inspiration. Join us now and let the pampering begin!
"*" indicates required fields
You May Also Enjoy
Leave a Comment
Hi beautiFULL, We’re Pam and Kalie
If you want your family to live a healthier life, you’ve come to the right place! Our simple wellness practices have been handed down for three generations and are the secret weapon to staying healthy and sane.
GET YOUR FREE GUIDE
Real Food Crash Course
Learn how to cut out processed food in a realistic and manageable way.
Free Guide Food – Real Food Crash Course
"*" indicates required fields